Wednesday, June 28, 2017

What DO THE AMISH BELIEVE? The Doctrine of the Plain People Compared to Scripture - A book review

I was excited to receive a copy of What Do the Amish Believe? from Aneko Press. I've always had an interest in learning about the Amish and Mennonite cultures and this book promised to give me a clear understanding. What I didn't expect was a better understanding of Scripture. I've been a Christian for 52 years. I also have two seminary degrees, but as I read the book, I learned a few things!

One of the things I learned was about the history of the Amish culture. I hadn't studied that before and was intrigued to learn of the origin of the religion. Reading about the extensive persecutions during the time of the early years of the Amish faith saddened me but made me realize a dedicated faith comes with consequences.

I liked how the book presented various topics and then gave the Amish perspective on each. After the Amish beliefs were shared, a biblical view was given. As I read each viewpoint, I realized there wasn't a lot of difference between the beliefs of the Amish and the beliefs of my faith, Christianity. I wasn't surprised to learn the Amish peoples were more focused on works but their religion seemed to have solid doctrine that was biblically based and that put my mind at ease.  Included at the end of each chapter, a prayer was included. These prayers were powerful and filled with desires that all followers of Christ should utter.

Topics covered in the book included:

  1. God
  2. Jesus Christ
  3. The Holy Spirit
  4. The Bible
  5. The Church
  6. Angels, Demons and Satan
  7. Humanity
  8. Sin and Salvation
  9. The End Times
I would recommend this book to anyone seeking to understand the Amish culture but it would also be beneficial to those wanting to understand more about Christian doctrine. A clear and concise presentation of Scripture gives the reader understanding of the Bible in ways they may have never learned. 

I'd like to thank Aneko Press for allowing the opportunity to review this book in exchange for my honest opinion. I was not encouraged to give a positive review, however it is my pleasure to do so. 

This book will be released on July 1, 2017. To purchase your copy of What Do the Amish Believe click here. You may also read a PDF version of the Ebook at the same site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment