Thursday, January 12, 2017

Disarming the Powers of Darkness by Eric Barger with David Benoit

Spiritual warfare. For most, just the name sounds daunting. Things of a spiritual nature aren't easily understood. Why then does God call Christians to not only understand but constantly participate in spiritual battles? Eric Barger and David Benoit tackle this question along with many others in their book, Disarming the Powers of Darkness.

As I reviewed the copy of Disarming the Powers of Darkness, I found the book not only to be a practical guide in understanding spiritual warfare but also a handbook to equip believers with the necessary tools to participate in battle. The introduction to the book begins with Scripture found in Ephesians 6:12, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness sin high places." This verse gives a clear picture of our mortal enemy, Satan, and his dark spiritual realm. In order to fight a battle and prepare for the win, one must understand the enemy. Barger and Benoit state their goal is to "teach and live biblical truths, expose Satan's ploys, and lift up Jesus Christ as the only hope." They also say, "Spiritual warfare, understanding it and waging it, is paramount to our spiritual defectiveness an survival until we're at home in heaven." While Satan is out to destroy anyone he can, the authors of this book explain, "We must be conscious that our victory is not based on our efforts and intentions but is only available as we abide in Him. Second, it is found in obedience to studying, understanding, and implementing what the Lord imparted to us in His Word. "Many Christians have become desensitized to Satan's work and because of this, Mr. Barger says, "...the subtle influences that seep through the cracks in humanity soon root themselves as fixtures in our lives." That's why it's so important to not only know who your enemy is but to know how to fight against him with weapons God has given us.

The authors have laid out their book as a battle plan. Each chapter builds upon the one preceding it. The book is written simply and clearly. It is not only easy to understand but employs the use of visual aids to help the reader "see" what the author is talking about. Some of the chapters included in the book are:
  • Ground rules for warfare
  • Does Satan know your thoughts?
  • Examining the Armor of God
  • Two Big Guns: Prayer and the Word
  • What Then Must We Do?
Mr. Barger makes a point to analyze each piece of the Christians armor from the helmet down to the shoes. As he takes the reader through an understanding of each piece of equipment, he also points the reader to scripture and explains why each piece is necessary for use in battle. 

I was impressed by this book and found it interesting to read. I especially enjoyed small snippets of Biblical history that were included in the book. For example, in the chapter entitled, "Shoes and a Hat to Match," the author says shoes were very important in Biblical times. He says, "One reason these shoes were so important was that the Israelites fought their battles in the hot sand." I'd never thought about where their battles were fought but after reading the chapter, I could relate to the author's statement in a personal way. On a recent vacation to the beach, my family and I had traveled to a preserve called Blowing Rocks. It was a long stretch of beautiful sandy beach hedged by large limestone rock formations. The ocean water would push up through some of the rock formations as the tide came in and gave us a gorgeous display of the forces of nature. On this trip, however, I found myself experiencing something I had not planned on experiencing. In the middle of the sandy beach, on a very hot summer's day, the strap on my Teva sandals broke. While I was standing still, it didn't affect me but as I tried to walk back to the boardwalk, extremely hot sand came pouring into my shoe and burned the bottom of my foot. I felt immediate pain as the searing sand blistered the sole of my foot. I understood the importance of good shoes and wished I'd had on sneakers instead of sandals. As I thought about my painful experience, I related to the author's statement and clearly knew having my feet shod with the gospel of peace was an important part of my armor.  

This book was filled with Biblical truth and wonderful insights. The authors made a special point of reminding the reader that not only are we in a spiritual battle that we must fight daily, but we are also well equipped and Jesus is on our side. When trials do come our way, we know we can choose to pick up the pieces of our armor and stand firm. Mr. Barger wants us to remember, "The battle is not really ours but God's. We are but a willing conduit for His power to be manifested through. God knows every thought, every fear, and every strength. Nothing will take Him by surprise. We serve under His protection. The weapons for victory are not our own. They are made available and are empowered by God. None are more powerful than the knowledge of His Word coupled with the blood of the cross." 

Disarming the Powers of Darkness is an excellent book. I would highly recommend it. Every Christian should read it and keep a reference copy in his/her personal library. I am thankful I was given an opportunity to review this book by Aneko Press in exchange for my honest review. I was in no way encouraged to give a positive review however it is my pleasure to do so. 

When we know our enemy, know how to fight and in whose strength we fight, we are assured a win every single time. 

You may purchase the book here

Watch a video from the author here.

No comments:

Post a Comment